The Gambia OIC Press Secretariat News Release
As part of our efforts to provide regular updates to the public as project works advance, here is a summary of the latest update on the Bertil Harding Highway covering July – August:
1. Piling for construction of the fly-over bridge at km 2+600 (Old Yundum junction) is completed. Excavation and blinding of pile foundations are underway.
2. Piling team have now moved to km 9+600 (BRUSUBI Turntable) where they have started work since September 5t and on daily, 2-3 piles a done.
3. Earthworks are suspended due to heavy rains and will resume immediately after the rainy season.
4. The relocation of utility services such as overhead electric cables, underground water pipes, and fibre optic cables have also advanced significantly well with 70% completion for phase 1.
5. The contractor has committed to intensifying the works by doubling the amount of equipment on site and operating a 24-hour multiple shift roster (day and night).
6. Could be recalled that before the earlier- than- anticipated heavy down pours, asphalt laying for the first 5cm thick hot mixed asphalt had commenced from some parts of the first section of the project (km 0+350 – km 1+950).
Reacting to the report, the Head of Brand and Communications said:
‘’We are highly encouraged by the pace of progress. On behalf of the Secretariat and all stakeholders, I would like to assure the public we committed to delivering all this development project on time without compromising quality”